Coast Collective Gallery and Gift Shop Submission Guidelines
The Coast Collective Art Centre (CCAC) is looking for a broad spectrum of family-friendly original art works which display excellence in skill and creativity. Consider yourself a professional, treat your artwork with respect and always use the best possible materials. CCAC reserves the right to refuse any artwork not meeting our Submission Guidelines.
All submissions are adjudicated based on:
a) all work must be original, not copied from anyone else’s work, which includes working from photographs taken by other people without their consent.
2. Technical Proficiency
a) work displays a high level of skill or mastery in the medium of choice.
b) all work must be primarily hand crafted. Manufactured or store-bought items may be used in the artwork but must not be the primary factor.
a) Pieces must be display ready
b) All artwork should be presented in a simple, professional manner regardless of the nature of the work
c) To maintain a high level of professionalism, use top quality materials in making and presenting your work
a) Price point – the piece is priced within the range of comparable items.
b) Workmanship – a high level of quality has been maintained throughout.
c) Appeal – popularity and salability must be considered.
- The whole piece – front, back, top, bottom – should be well crafted and properly finished; not battered, shop worn, flimsy or fragile. This applies to canvases, cradle boards, framed artwork and all other substrates.
- Frame and mat quality and aesthetic will be considered as part of the work.
- Artwork behind glass must not touch the glass, mats should be used to separate the work from the glass. Glass must be without scratches and fingerprints.
- All artwork must be presented ready-to-hang with appropriate hanging wire attached to the frame. Wires and hanging hardware must not be visible when hung. The wire must be a minimum of 1 ½ inches from the top of the frame when pulled tight.
- Stretched canvases that are at least 1 ½ inches deep do not require a frame; however, staples must not be visible, corners must be tidy, and edges must be painted or otherwise finished.
- Canvases less than 1 ½ inches deep require a frame.
- Quilts and other fabric wall hangings must be ready to hang on a hook. Hardware must be included ie. a dowel with eye hooks.
- In the Gallery
- Saw tooth hanger are NOT accepted
- In the Artisan Gift Shop
- Sawtooth hangers may be used only on small items where that is the most appropriate hanging method. An alternate display method must be available such as a small display stand.
- All submitted work must be primarily hand manufactured. Any article commercially manufactured or made from a commercial kit will not be accepted.
- Work must be aesthetically artistic in nature with elements demonstrating use of colour, texture, pattern, etc.
- Articles made from a mold are acceptable only where the mold is subordinate to the product and/or the artist’s creativity.
- Bases of freestanding items must be professionally finished and stable. Instructions for special installations should be attached to the piece. Special installation apparatuses must be provided by the artist.
- Three-dimensional wall pieces must be mounted to their hanging apparatus in a secure, professional manner.
- Toys, garments and all functional items must meet all safety standards.
BOOKS & ORIGINAL MEDIA
Professionally rendered original works of music and literature are welcomed.