Plein Air or Inside Mornings with John Stuart Pryce (Jun)
June 13 – July 18, 2019 (6 sessions)
Thursdays, 9:00 am to noon
Please register by June 7, 2019
Instructor: John Stuart Pryce
Join John on Thursday mornings to learn how to produce successful paintings.
Practical assignments will be combined with hands-on demonstration and individualized attention. The series will cover:
- The importance of an organized workspace and appropriate equipment;
- The importance of an organized palette with reference to choice of colours and the reasons;
- The physical characteristics of natural and synthetic brushes;
- The choice of subject matter, and the importance of drawing and composition;
- Sensitivity to shapes, colour temperature and values;
- Simple step-by-step methods of blocking in a painting and the process to completion.
Each day will conclude with a discussion and critique.
Location: Weather dependent or Instructor will relay meeting at Pacific Landing (the old Coast Collective Pendray House) Rain out session s will be held at 3221 Heatherbell Rd, Colwood
Suggested Oil or Acrylic Pigments: Lemon Yellow, Cad Yellow Middle, Cad Red Light, Alizarin Crimson; French Ultramarine Blue; Cobalt Blue; Prussian Blue; (Thalo Blue) Viridian Green; Sap Green; Yellow Ochre; Burnt Sienna; Titanium White and Black
Suggested Solvent: Taltine or equivalent. Vegetable Oil or Baby Oil
12″ x 16″ canvas or panel. 16″ x 20″ canvas
Recommended sizes and type of brushes: Hog’s hair and synthetic. Various shapes and sizes. eg Flat, Filbert and Angle. These are suggested only but if you other brushes that you are comfortable with please use them.
Lint Free Blue paper shop-towels. (Available at Canadian Tire Auto Department)
Easels available in the classroom or bring your own for outside work.
Learn more about John Stuart Pryce
Workshop entrance on Wale Rd
Parking beneath building