Bold Watercolours II: Pump up the Values! with Elaine Hughes (Oct)
October 4, 2020
Sunday, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Please register by September 27, 2020
$125+gst ( or see package deal below)
Instructor: Elaine Hughes
OR Take this class and Bold Watercolours: Bring on the Colour (Sept 20) for
$200 + gst. ($50 savings on the package deal!)
In this class we will explore ways to make your watercolour paintings bolder, brighter and more powerful using values. In the first part of the class we will look at planning a value design, and how values relate to creating a strong focal point.
We will then look at techniques you can use to save the white of your paper, and will practice various masking and painting ideas.
We will also look at various methods to create dark values, including different pigments, lowered intensity, and methods of tinting other colours.
We will learn how to make black and discuss why you might not want to! Bring examples of your own work that you feel are too timid, dull or muddy, as well as reference material that you want to work from and your usual paints and papers.
Through classroom exercises, demos, critiques and working through a new version of your subject, you will learn how to bring more vibrancy to your work.
This course is designed for people who already have some experience with watercolour painting.
Bring your own
- reference material (photo, or ideally a previous painting that you feel is too “wishy washy” that you want to improve)
- a prepared quarter or half sheet of watercolour paper (such as Arches 140lb cold press or rough) on a support.
- some extra pieces of watercolour paper or a sketchbook to do exercises,
- your usual paints and brushes. Make sure you have a couple of yellows, a couple of blues and a couple of reds, ideally in professional quality paint. I like: lemon yellow, cadmium yellow light, cadmium red, permanent alizarin, ultramarine blue, pthalo blue (green shade).
- water container,
- some masking tape,
- a small spray bottle
- paper towels.
Optional items (if you own them already):
- masking fluid,
- neutral tint or paynes grey
- burnt sienna.
Learn more about Elaine Hughes
To register for both workshops and receive your $50 Discount
1) Add both workshops to your “cart”
2) On the checkout page, use coupon code WCDOUBLEDEAL to receive your $50 discount. This will automatically update your cart total.
3) Follow payment directions to complete the registration.
The 50% discount is applicable when the classes are booked at the same time. If you do not book both classes at the same time but would like to add the second class later, please call Coast Collective to receive this discount by 5 pm on September 20th. After this the discount can no longer be applied.
Workshop entrance on Wale Rd
Parking beneath building