Bold Watercolours: Bring on the Colour with Elaine Hughes (Sep)
September 20, 2020
Sunday 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Please register by September 13, 2020
$125+gst (or see package deal below)
OR Take this class and Bold Watercolours II: Pump Up the Value (Oct 4) for
$200 + gst. ($50 savings on the package deal!) *
Instructor: Elaine Hughes
In this class we will explore ways to make your watercolour paintings bolder, brighter and more powerful using colour.
The session will focus first on materials, and secondly on how to use colour intensity to your advantage.
You will be asked to bring examples of your own work that you feel are too timid, dull or muddy, as well as reference material that you want to work from and your usual paints and papers.
We will triage your palette and discuss how to make high and low intensity colours.
Through classroom exercises, demos, critiques and working through a new version of your subject, you will learn how to bring more vibrancy to your work.
This course is designed for people who already have some experience with watercolour painting.
Bring your own
- reference material (photo, or ideally a previous painting that you feel is too “wishy washy” that you want to improve)
- a prepared quarter or half sheet of watercolour paper (such as Arches 140lb cold press or rough) on a support.
- some extra pieces of watercolour paper or a sketchbook to do exercises,
- your usual paints and brushes,
- Make sure you have a couple of yellows, a couple of blues and a couple of reds, ideally in professional quality paint. I like: lemon yellow, cadmium yellow light, cadmium red, permanent alizarin, ultramarine blue, pthalo blue (green shade). Optional items (if you own them already): masking fluid, neutral tint or paynes grey, burnt sienna.
- water container,
- some masking tape,
- a small spray bottle
- paper towels.
Learn more about Elaine Hughes
* To register for both workshops and receive your $50 Discount
1) Add both workshops to your “cart”
2) On the checkout page, use coupon code WCDOUBLEDEAL to receive your $50 discount. This will automatically update your cart total.
3) Follow payment directions to complete the registration
The 50% discount is applicable when the classes are booked at the same time. If you do not book both classes at the same time but would like to add the second class later, please call Coast Collective to receive this discount by 5 pm on September 20th. After this the discount can no longer be applied.
Workshop entrance on Wale Rd
Parking beneath building