Plein Air or Inside Mornings with John Stuart Pryce (Jan)
January 10 to February 28, 2019
Thursdays, 9:00am to noon
Please register by January 3, 2019
Instructor: John Stuart Pryce
Join John on Thursday mornings to learn how to produce successful paintings.
Practical assignments will be combined with hands-on demonstration and individualized attention.
The series will cover:
- The importance of an organized workspace and appropriate equipment;
- The importance of an organized palette with reference to choice of colours and the reasons;
- The physical characteristics of natural and synthetic brushes;
- The choice of subject matter, and the importance of drawing and composition;
- Sensitivity to shapes, colour temperature and values.
- Simple step-by-step methods of blocking in a painting and the process to completion.
Each day will conclude with a discussion and critique.
Suggested Oil or Acrylic Pigments.
Lemon Yellow. Cad. Yellow Middle. Cad. Red light. Alizarin Crimson. French Ultramarine Blue. Cobalt Blue. Prussian Blue. (Thalo Blue) Viridian Green. Sap Green. Yellow Ochre. Burnt Sienna. Titanium White and Black.
Suggested Solvent: Taltine or equivalent. Vegetable Oil or Baby Oil
12” x 16” canvas or panel. 16” x 20” canvas.
Recommended sizes and type of brushes.
Hog’s hair and synthetic. various shapes and sizes. e.g. Flat. Filbert and Angle.
These are suggested only but if you have other brushes that you are comfortable with please use them.
Lint Free Blue paper shop-towels. (Available at Can Tire auto dept.)
Easels available in the classroom or bring your own for outside work
Learn more about John Stuart Pryce
Workshop on Wale Rd
Parking beneath building